PCOS: Diagnosis And Treatment
by customer care on Mar 03, 2022
PCOS is a set of symptoms due to elevated androgens (male hormones) in women.
The Signs And Symptoms Of PCOS Include:-
- Irregular or no menstrual periods
- Heavy periods
- Excess body and facial hair
- Pelvic pain
- Difficulty getting pregnant
- and patches of thick, darker, velvety skin.
The cause of PCOS is not clearly known.
It could be a combination of genetic and environmental factors. Obesity, sedentary lifestyle and a family history put a person at high risk.
Diagnosis Of PCOS Is Now Standardized.
If any of the following criteria is met then the patient will be diagnosed with PCOS
1. Oligoovulation is infrequent or irregular ovulation (usually defined as cycles of greater than 36 days or less than 8 menstrual cycles a year)
2. Excess Androgen activity
3. Presence of polycystic ovaries which is normally seen via ultrasound procedure
Typically the doctor will look for missed periods and highly irregular periods. They will conduct blood tests to check for higher levels of androgens. A vaginal ultrasound procedure will be done to check for small ovarian follicles
PCOS cannot be cured but can be treated.
Typically The Following Symptoms Are Treated And Managed.
- Irregular menstruation
- Restoration of fertility
- Acne or skin condition
- Elevated sugar levels
- Heavy bleeding during period
- Reducing weight through diet and exercise is one of the primary treatments to regularise menstruation. Some studies suggest that moderate intake of carbohydrates mainly in the form of fruits, vegetables and whole grain food results in weight loss. This in turn helps in regularising the period cycles.
- Oral contraceptives and other medicines will be prescribed to manage excessive hair and acne. They also help to regularise the cycles.
- Till the cycles get regularized, wearing leakproof panties during regular period dates will help to build confidence. Special boxer period panties which help you to manage heavy periods during irregular cycles will help you to be discreet.
- As PCOS affects appearance which in turn plays on confidence, shapers come in handy to manage those perceptions
- Alternate therapy and treatment
- Symptoms of PCOS are mentioned distinctly in Ayurveda with prescribed treatments.
PCOS is a common hormonal disorder that affects many women, and its symptoms can range from mild to severe.
Although there is no cure for PCOS, there are various treatment options available that can help manage the symptoms and improve the overall quality of life.
With proper medical care and lifestyle changes, women with PCOS can lead healthy and fulfilling lives.
Shop all Adira essentials including leakproof panties for an extra 10% off using code "RELIEVEPCOS"