How to Relieve Period Pain? Tips To Deal With It
by customer care on Mar 03, 2022
Period pain is something that almost every woman has faced at some point in her life, however, there are ways to regulate cramps and pains. Read further to know how.
Why Are Periods Painful?
Menstrual pain and cramps can be of two types –
- Pain that is only linked with menstruation is known as primary dysmenorrhea.
- If the cramping pain is due to an identifiable medical problem such as endometriosis, uterine fibroids or some other problem, it is called secondary dysmenorrhea and can be treated by treating the medical problem itself.
Primary dysmenorrhea occurs in women who probably produce larger quantities of prostaglandins. They have several effects and cause uterine contractions (they are released in pregnancy as well). Another reason for pain can be due to some amount of blood flowing back through the fallopian tubes which causes irritation in the surrounding tissues, thus, resulting in cramps.
Also read: What Is A Heavy Period Flow In Young Girls?
How To Ease Period Cramps?
The most effective method of easing cramps/pains is to maintain a healthy diet and exercise routine throughout the month; it will also increase immunity and strength. Here’s how you can achieve it –
- Eat raw fruits at least once every day; fibres help clean and maintain all your body systems.
- Include green-leafy vegetables in your diet; they are a great source of many vital nutrients.
- Consuming food items rich in Omega-3, like, salmon fish, would reduce pain during periods.
- Natural probiotic yogurt, as per studies, has been found to ease period cramps and pains.
- Include sunflower seeds in the diet; it is a rich source of Vitamin-E which would ease cramps.
- Exercise regularly; if you cannot workout daily, make sure to exercise at least thrice a week.
- Include yoga in your exercise plan; certain yogic postures are found to help reduce pain.
- Exercises like wide-angle-forward bends and head-to-knee poses help reduce cramps.
I Have Heard That Certain Herbal Teas Help Ease Period Pain. Is It True?
Yes, certain teas can help reduce period pains and provide relief, like –
Ginger Tea –Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties that can help ease cramps and would also significantly reduce period pains. If not tea, you can also consume ginger powder.
Chamomile Tea –This is effective as well for period pains as it contains properties that act as a natural painkiller during periods; it also relives pain in muscles and organs.
Yarrow Tea –It has been proven effective in relieving women of uterine cramps during periods such as childbirth as well. Yarrow teas can also help in regulating your periods.
Other Measures To Reduce Menstrual Pain
- Reduce your stress levels, try to keep yourself calm and relaxed.
- Increase intake of fresh air (read, oxygen), like, by taking morning walks.
- Don’t indulge in smoking or consuming alcoholic substances; avoid as much as possible.
Period pains can be a challenging experience, but there are several ways to cope with them. From simple lifestyle changes to taking medication and seeking professional help, there is no need to suffer in silence. It's essential to listen to your body, take care of yourself and find what works best for you.
With the right approach, you can manage period pain and continue with your daily activities without interruptions. Remember, you are not alone and millions of women go through the same experience each month. Be kind to yourself and seek support when you need it.
Check out Adira’s innovative period panties which are leak-proof and stain-proof and a must have for every woman for a smooth period!
Shop all Adira essentials including period panties for an extra 10% off using code "RELIEVEPAIN"