Toxic Shock Syndrome – Every Woman Must Know About It
Nana Robertson wore a fashionable gown and attended a glamorous party in New York.24 hours later, she was dying from Toxic Shock. You can read her story titled Toxic Shock, which worn a pulitzer. Nana was lucky because the doctors treating her recognised Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) and saved her life.
What is TSS?
The most common form of Toxic Shock Syndrome by the bacteria Staphylococcus aureus, which usually lives inside the nose, but can be found anywhere on the human body. If it gets introduced into the wrong places, Staphylococcus can cause anything from boils, to urinary tract infections, to meningitis and pneumonia. If the toxins enters the bloodstream, the bacteria will release super antigens, it could lead to toxic shock syndrome.
If untreated, it can even lead to death.
Menstruating women who use tampons are more prone to TSS. It is highly recommended not to use Tampons on low flow days because it might cause excessive dryness and causes the bacteria to stay too long in the vagina.You’re also more at risk if you have an infection after surgery, childbirth, or have burns or pus buildup in your body.
Common signs of TSS are:
- Fever above 102 F
- Fatigue and muscle pain
- Flat, red rash like a sunburn on most of your body
- Vomiting and Diarrhea
- Redder than usual mouth, eyes, and vagina
- Unusual Body Bruising
In case you suffer from any of the symptoms, the first thing to do is remove tampon or any other Intra Uterine Devices (IUD) you might be using. It is important to see a doctor immediately as TSS is fatal if left untreated.
You can avoid TSS by maintaining good hygiene and changing pads and tampons often. It is also advised that young girls who have just started their period, don’t use tampons as they might lose track of time and not change tampons as often as needed.
So, it is better off to use pads with period panties to stay stain-free, instead of risking TSS.
Stay healthy, Stay Safe.