Blood Clots In Periods. Is It Normal?
Blood clots in periods is common in most women. Clots are blobs of coagulated blood & tissue that look like gel and come out during periods along with the normal blood flow. They vary in colour from bright to dark red. While it might be scary to look at, it is natural and you don’t have to worry.
REASON FOR BLOOD CLOTS DURING PERIOD
During periods, the lining of thr uterus which is blood & tissue sheds and collects at the bottom of the uterus. It waits for the cervix to contract and expel this. To help in the breakdown of this thickened blood, the body releases anticoagulants for thinning it. But, when the blood flow is more than the body’s ability to produce anticoagulants, menstrual clots are released.
Clots during periods are most common during heavy blood flow days. Women with heavy bleeding also tend to experience clots a lot more than women who have regular flow. If you are a heavy bleeder, you must read this.
NORMAL & ABNORMAL CLOTS
So, clots are normal but there is something called normal & abnormal, so let’s find out about that. Normal clots are about the size of a 25pc coin and occur occasionally during your period. Mostly during the heavy days of periods. Abnormal clots are larger in size and occur through out your period days. If you have reasons to believe you suffer from abnormal clots, do visit your gynaecologist.
UNDERLYING REASONS FOR ABNORMAL CLOTS
There are many reasons for heavy period with blood clots. The top reasons are as below. However you must not self diagnose. It is best to visit your doctor to access your condition.
- Physical factors like being overweight or inactive lifestyle
- Hormonal imbalances
- Medical reasons like fibroids, endometriosis, tumors, etc
COMPLICATIONS OF HEAVY BLEEDING & ABNORMAL CLOTS
Following are the common complications that occur with heavy bleeding
- Fatigue & weakness
- Chest pains & shortness of breath
If you experience any of the above symptoms, do visit your doctor and don’t neglect your health.
TREATMENT FOR HEAVY PERIOD WITH BLOOD CLOTS
Each case is different and your doctor will advise what is best for you. Here are the common treatments that are suggested
- Contraceptive pills or similar hormone stabilising medication
- If the bleeding is high and your iron levels are dropping, a surgery called D&C could be suggested
TIPS TO MANAGE SYMPTOMS OF HEAVY PERIODS
Here are simple tips that can help you manage heavy period with blood clots
- Healthy & balanced diet and hydration helps relieve issues with heavy periods
- Anti-inflammatory medications that are available over-the-counter helps
- Always carry period supplies with you. Adira Period Panties are a life savers for those with heavy flow or low flow periods. Learn more on Period Panties here.
Here is a fun video on why you need Period Panties